Tuesday, January 10, 2006

 

The Monk

I'm always searching for something to rent at the local movie place. They have 2-for-1 on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Supposedly, they have around 30,000 titles (including the ones in the "special" back room?). Over the last five years, I've worked my way through most of the movies in the store (but not the back room). At least it feels that way. If there really are 30,000, averaging 2 hours each, it would take almost seven years of solid viewing. I've watched almost all of the AFI's top 100 (overall a good list), and most of the Academy Award winners. The two lists overlap a lot. Since I've seen almost everything, a visit to the video store can be an arduous one. I walk up and down the aisles, looking in vain for something I haven't seen before and isn't totally cheesy. Recently I discovered television... on DVD. Since the local FOX station replays the same five episodes of Seinfeld over and over, I can now rent and watch all the episodes on Seinfeld in order. The problem is, I don't like Seinfeld (much).

Sometime last year I was at Matt Fab's house and we watched part of an episode of Monk on USA. It didn't hook me at the time. However, months later at Casa Video, I picked up Season One, Disc One. I was hooked. Each DVD has four 42-minute episodes. I can easily watch a DVD in one sitting. Addictive... time consuming... bad. All I need is another excuse not to go running at night.
Monk is a clever show, but not too clever. Some parts of it are downright cheesy. But the characters make it brilliant entertainment. In particular Monk, played by Tony Shaloub, will make you feel ok about every little neurosis you've ever had. I won't prattle on about the show here. Just go down to the video store and rent a disk or two. Please steer clear of Civilization, however. The nice thing about TV shows is that there is a finite number of episodes. Civilization can be played forever.

Last night I watched the final available episode of Monk (season 3). Season four is currently about halfway through on USA, but I don't have cable and won't anytime soon. It's the end of an era. Back to work.

Comments:
hey, did you flip-flop your columns on this blog?
Monk--interesting. The promos never appealed to me, but maybe I will add season one to my Netflix que.
 
You can see KONA at my bloggy-blog. Go. Now!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?